What does adventure mean to you?

by Rita Azar on November 29, 2013

Bonjour!

NaNoWriMo word count is today: 46 0031 words.

There’s no quote on the blog today as I’m participating to the Southern Cross Travel Insurance photo competition.

What does adventure means to me

I was born in Montreal (1) but my parents are Lebanese.  When I was 19, I travelled for the first time overseas.  I felt a big part was missing inside me.  Adventure meant going back to my roots, discovering where I came from, connecting with my origins in Lebanon (2).

At 27, adventure meant booking a tour to Italy (3) one week before departing, travelling alone, staying in Italy for one week and meeting the man of my dream on the doorstep of a hotel in Rome (4).  This trip changed my life; on that tour, I met the man who would become my husband.

In December of the same year, adventure meant taking a plane to the other side of the world, to Australia (5), and meeting with the man I had seen only for one week in Italy and had only contact with by phone and emails for a few months.  Adventure meant taking a big leap of faith.

I was 28 when I travelled to the Dominican Republic to be the maid of honour of my best friend.  Adventure meant sticking up for friendship (6).

For my thirties, adventure meant moving permanently across the world to Melbourne (7) and saying good-bye to my home town, to my family and my friends and hello to a new life, new people and many new things to discover.

Adventure mean to me today: following my heart (8) and travelling the world with my husband (Thailand, 2011 (9)).

This post was written for the Southern Cross Travel Insurance photo competition. I nominate Lizzy at The Muddle-Headed Mamma and Emily at Have A Laugh On Me to take part in the competition. Entries to the competition close 30th November.

Au revoir!

Signature

If you enjoyed reading my post, you can subscribe by email and receive all my new posts in your inbox.  You can also like my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, on Instagram and Bloglovin.
Please, leave me a comment.  Let me know what you think of my post or any opinion you would like to share.  Even though I don’t answer all the comments, I read them all and I love them!

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Rhian @melbs November 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Great photos Rita and I love reading the story of how you met your husband it is so romantic. I love Pic number 1. X
Rhian @melbs recently posted…It’s a jungle out thereMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

Thanks Rhian!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Mike November 30, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have been blessed with experience so many different life adventures, Rita. Slowly but surely I will share them in my writing. At this point in life though, I see adventure as even deeper trek into taking chances within myself :) It’s a daily journey! :)
Mike recently posted…My Top 10 +1 Favorite Meryl Streep MoviesMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Absolutely Mike! I think indeed that the greatest adventure is to push yourself by taking chances and doing new things. Can’t wait to read about your adventures on your blog.
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Jean November 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Gosh what a story about your courtship..

Well yes, life is an adventure. Well, yes for a cyclist even cycling around in one’s one city/area can be adventure. But as a cyclist, I do feel privileged to have experienced Canada and parts of the U.S. , as well as Europe from the bike since it has been my means of transportation over the past 2 decades (and more).

But adventure has been also career-wise: it’s an incredible learning experience to have worked for contrasting client groups. Because of the type of organizations I’ve worked for I’ve had client groups for many years who were firefighters, engineers, judges, lawyers (legal aid, corporate and tax), accountants, etc.

And the art courses I’ve taken, it’s been a treat and adventure (painting, stained glass making, Western calligraphy, etc.)…

True, meeting and living life with my partner has been another adventure. (He is also a cyclist…) And for me having a family background where English is my 2nd language, as you know a 2nd language, doubles that adventure.

I loved your story and attitude.
Jean recently posted…Chameleon Art: Art That Teases ImaginationMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much Jean. I’m so glad I have virtually met you. I love reading about your cycling adventures and all your other adventures on your blog. I think you are a very talented artist too.
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Lizzy - Muddle-Headed Mamma November 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm

What an exciting adventure your life has been, Rita! You’ve experienced so many diverse and interesting cultures. I love all your photos and I would love to go to Lebanon one day. Look at that snow in Montreal! Do you miss the snow now that you live in Australia?
Lizzy – Muddle-Headed Mamma recently posted…What Adventure Means to MeMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Lizzy, I miss the snow only at Christmas time. I can’t get use to celebrate the festive season in the heat!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Zanni Louise December 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm

What a lovely story…I love how the meaning changes as we get older. x
Zanni Louise recently posted…The {Sad} Tale Of Two Teacups {and a Tea Pot}My Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

Thanks for letting me know about this contest Zanni!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Min@MinsMash December 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

You sure have had an adventurous life Rita and lots of travel! Good luck with the competition. I love your photo’s. By the way – my cousin is marrying a girl who is from Lebanon. They are getting married in January in a village in Lebanon named Wadi Bnehlay, in the Shouf Mountains where her family live. Min xo
Min@MinsMash recently posted…ChristmasMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

Wow! This is so exciting for your cousin Min! Is this going to be his first time in Lebanon? I’m sure he will love it!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Housewife in Heels December 4, 2013 at 1:59 pm

So many fabulous places to see. Love the story of how you met your partner Love the story of how you met your partner!!! Good luck in the comp!
Housewife in Heels recently posted…ThanksgivingMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Thanks so much!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Trademark Guy December 5, 2013 at 1:45 am

What a lovely post, was great to hear about your experience and your life, and it’s great to hear about your adventurous side!

Rita December 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!
Rita recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Becc December 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

We are similar in thought. Adventure to me has always been about travel. My first trip by myself was to Europe for a year at 18. It never stopped and there is still plenty more to see in my future.
I really enjoyed this post and what I learned about you. We definitely have a connection in our travel adventures.
Becc recently posted…Guest posts are requiredMy Profile

Rita Azar December 8, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks Becc! I’m glad you enjoyed this post! I love traveling and there are so many more places i would love to see.
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile