Five tips to overcome the writer’s block and find back inspiration

Post image for Five tips to overcome the writer’s block and find back inspiration

by Rita Azar on November 26, 2013

Bonjour!

NaNoWriMo word count is today: 38 004 words.

So, it’s the last week of NaNoWriMo and, as you can see, I’m behind in my word count.

I have been busy working at a French Festival over the week-end, partying with my neighbors for the annual Christmas party of the street and cleaning up and preparing the house for the arrival of my parents this Friday.  I can’t wait to see them!

They are arriving to Sydney and hubby and I will go and meet them there for a stay of four days before we all head back to Melbourne on the Monday.

So, I have to go back to writing my story but, before I do so, here are my five tips to overcome the writer’s block and find back inspiration.

Gardening

I discovered the benefits of gardening not long ago.  There is something about gardening that is quite therapeutic and relaxing.  While I cut my flowers and water my garden, I often find inspiration.

Flowers

My roses

House cleaning

This is something I actually hate doing but often new ideas come to me while I’m vacuuming (here’s an example of a poem I wrote while I was cleaning the house).  It’s as if by doing something so simple and boring, I totally disconnect and new ideas are able to make an entrance into my mind.

IMG_5479

Bitstrips App

Getting out and about

By meeting new people and doing new things I find new ideas that otherwise would never have crossed my mind.  This is also one of the tips Kate Forsyth gave in a talk at the Melbourne Writers Festival.

At the French Festival

At the French Festival

Keep writing

Even though I think I’m afflicted of the blank page syndrome, I force myself to sit down at my computer desk and write anything.  Most of the time, I find something that trigger my imagination.

Forget all about your writing

If all of the above don’t succeed, I just go away from my computer and do something totally different.  I like going back to my other hobby: knitting.  I stop thinking about writing.  Words and ideas always end up coming back to me.

ruffle scarf

Knitted scarf available in my Etsy shop

How do you overcome writer’s block?

Do you have any suggestions for me of things to do in Sydney?

Au revoir!

Signature

If you enjoyed reading my post, you can subscribe by email and receive all my new posts in your inbox.  You can also like my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, on Instagram and Bloglovin.
Please, leave me a comment.  Let me know what you think of my post or any opinion you would like to share.  Even though I don’t answer all the comments, I read them all and I love them!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Lizzy - Muddle-Headed Mamma November 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Great tips, Rita! I agree that gardening can be meditative. If I didn’t have a baby in the house, I might find housework therapeutic too, but at the moment it seems that as soon as I tidy something it’s messy again :( I have found inspiration for stories by being out and about too. Catching public transport is great for that!
Lizzy – Muddle-Headed Mamma recently posted…Time for some blogging confessionsMy Profile

Rita Azar November 27, 2013 at 11:49 am

Yes, yes, yes about public transport! So true, I have found inspiration on trams many times. I always keep a pen and paper with me.
Rita Azar recently posted…Five tips to overcome the writer’s block and find back inspirationMy Profile

Lizzy - Muddle-Headed Mamma November 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm

P.S that scarf is beautiful.

Crystal Collier November 27, 2013 at 6:58 am

Music. Music always works for me, and playing with the kids at the playground, and a shower, and anything else that involves being physical–exercise in any variety.
Crystal Collier recently posted…Do You Like Where You Live?My Profile

Rita Azar November 27, 2013 at 11:47 am

Music is indeed great to find inspiration back. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog Crystal! I’m heading to your blog right now.

Grace November 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I go out either for a run or a long walk when I get writer’s block. It happens and I find that it’s bet not to fight it but roll with it because you eventually find yourself back in the zone.

Love that outfit at the French Festival! x
Grace recently posted…Return to Reality {And a Finish Quantum Giveaway!!!}My Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Grace! It’s true that a good walk also brings back the inspiration.
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Annie November 27, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Gardening is my best place for ideas….I can spend hours upon hours, have fun with your parents in Sydney
Annie recently posted…Around the Breakfast TableMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Annie!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me November 27, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Writer’s block – ugh – I get that a lot and when I have deadlines to do meet. But you’ve done so well already, you can do it!! x
Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…You won’t believe what came out of my wardrobe – Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Em! I finished with 50 013 words!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile

Alarna Rose Gray November 29, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Rita, whenever I see your roses, I can smell them too! xo
Alarna Rose Gray recently posted…Zero GravityMy Profile

Rita Azar December 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

You are so lovely Alarna!
Rita Azar recently posted…What does adventure mean to you?My Profile